Launch of the Latin American Economic Outlook 2015: Education, Skills and Innovation for Development
The Latin American Economic Outlook 2015 will be launched during the XXIV Ibero-American summit in the port city of Veracruz, in eastern Mexico, on Dec. 8-9, this year under the slogan “Ibero-America XXI Century: Education, Innovation and Culture.”
Every year Spain and Portugal meet with their Latin American counterparts at the Ibero-American Summit. Established in 1991, the Summit gives these countries the opportunity to discuss ways to increase trade, global cooperation, and economic development between the Iberian Peninsula and Latin America.
This year’s edition focuses on how the region can increase the levels and quality of education and skills in order to foster productivity and competitiveness as well as a more inclusive society, in a context of growth slowdown.
The report will be presented by:
- Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary, Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC)
- Enrique García Rodríguez, President and Chief Executive Officer, development bank of Latin America (CAF)
- Angel Gurría, OECD Secretary General
Other participants in the launch include:
- Michelle Bachelet, President, Chile
- Juan Manuel Santos, President, Colombia
- Rebeca Grynspan, Executive Secretary, Ibero-American Secretary-General (SEGIB)
- Luis Alberto Moreno, President, Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)
- José Antonio Meade, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Mexico
- Mario Pezzini, Director, OECD Development Centre
The launch of the Outlook will be preceded by a breakfast to take place at the Hotel Fiesta Americana Veracruz, salón Costa de Oro open to the press with SEGIB’s Secretary-General, Ms. Rebeca Grynspan. During the Summit, the OECD Secretary General will take part in a series of meetings including the Business summit (Encuentro Empresarial) on Promoting innovation and competitiveness in Iberoamerica and a Formal Launch Ceremony of the OECD’s Peru Country Programme.
The Outlook will be under embargo until Tuesday 9 December 2014, 08:30 A.M Mexico time (GMT+6). Advance copies will be available, in both English and Spanish, under request, from Bochra Kriout () and the OECD Media Press Office (; Tel: +33 145 27 97 00), the day before release.
Requests for information or interviews should be directed to Carolina Ziehl in Mexico ( - +52.55.9 138 6235 46235) and Bochra Kriout in Paris ( - +33 145 24 82 96).
More information on http://www.latameconomy.org/en/. You are invited to include this Internet link in reports on the Outlook. Follow the launch on #LEO2015.